Tuesday, August 9, 2011

White slime in my fish tank constantly... I cant stop it?

I would start by getting rid of some fish!! I don't mean flushing either, I would bring the silver dollars back as I don't know the size of your palm but they are propbably too big for your tank!! Hexagon tanks do not follow the general 1 inch of fish per gallon of water because they are tall tanks and don't have as much room for fish to swim! They sell small plecos that do a good job cleaning and will only get to about 3-4 inches! I use 2 for my 55 gallon! I don't know what you are dealing with but I would guess it is to do with the amount of fish in your tank!! Get a test kit and test your waters for Nitrates and make sure to check your PH as nitrates will cause your PH to be all over the place. I would propbably get take all of the pieces out and soak them in a mixture of 1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of hot water! Do not use a lot of bleach!!! Then I would gravel vac with everything out of the tank and also clean the gl with a tool to clean gl such as a magnet cleaner so your hand does not have to be in the water! I would also do about a 50% water change. Make sure you add some cheicals to the water you are adding to make the water safe! They sell all diferent types of chemicals and stuff! You just need to get all the chlorine and other stuff out if you are using tap or well water! If this does not work if you really like the hobbie than pick up a little bigger tank and start over!! I am sure you could sell your hex tank as they are very desireable! I just bought a whole 55 gallon set-up on craigslist for $200 dollars! I know money is tight and you may not have the room for a long tank. If you definetely want to keep all of the fish you should buy a bigger tank as that is propbably the number 1 thing leading to this reocurrance of white slime! Without having numbers from a test kit it is hard to say!! Good Luck!!! As far as Sarah saying red-tail sharks are schooling fish?? If you house more than 1 red-tail together 1 of them usualy becomes dominant to the others!! This is my experience with them anyway!! I love the red-tail shark but only keep 1 and he is very happy!! If you go online and read about the red tail or ask in a pet shop they will tell you the same thing!! A 55 gallon tank is plenty big enough for 1 red-tail to be happy also!! If you have a 125 gallon tak you could propbably get 2 because they would create places that they took over in the tank and would call their own!! I can't wait to get my litlle clown loaches to put in the 55 gallon to finish it off! Yes I know I will need a bigger tank when the clown loaches grow!! I have 5-6 years for that to happen though!! Again good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment